Monday, November 10, 2008

Ephesians 6:10-17...for children ages 3 and up


Until I started grade 6, I went to a publicly funded Christian school in Quebec City. This meant I had to take English as a second language, a class that consisted primarily of watching strange English Christian movies. One stands out in my memory to this day. The details are a little fuzzy, but I remember a knight in a medieval kingdom. He is on trial for his faith, and is about to go to the chopping block. All of a sudden, he brandishes his Bible in the air and yells "The sword of a spirit which is the word of God!" Suddenly, the Bible morphs into a sword, and the knight starts waving it at the bad guy (who, somewhere along the way, has morphed into a snake.) I'm not sure about the specifics of the rest of the movie, though if I'm not mistaken it involved some sort of "happily ever after with Jesus" ending.

As a result of this movie, I have never been able to listen to Ephesians 6 and keep a straight face. I always picture the knight (did I mention he also had long greasy hair?) waving his sword and yelling "The Word of God!" So I was predisposed to find any Christian products related to Ephesians 6 amusing. I wasn't, however, prepared for the children's toy my little brother unearthed in the kiddy section.
Parents, if you want your children to learn all about the armour of God, you now have some pretty nifty plastic visual aids. Your son or daughter can literally put on the full armour of God, from the shoes of the preparation of peace to the shield of faith. If you have two sons I suggest hanging onto the swords, lest the boys become involved in a duel and completely miss your Bible lesson. And if your daughter finds the armour too manly for her taste, it also comes in a nice white, pink, and purple version. Just make sure your kids are 3 years of age or older. Apparently there are small parts that could endanger toddlers.

1 comment:

Kris said...

my boys love swords. i have them all over the house. light sabers too...

kw